[RULE] Introduction

C David Rigby cdrigby at 9online.fr
Mon May 17 07:19:03 EEST 2004

Hi Gabriel,

	And welcome!  All contributions are appreciated.

	FC2 will probably not install directly on your portable, due to the low
RAM.  Indeed, extending the slinky installer to cover FC2 is a current
goal of the project.  If you would like to review some of the things
that Marco and I have been working on in terms of design a new website,
check out the test server here:  http://rule-test.homelinux.org/.  Other
folks are doing other things - I'll let them chime in for themselves.

	Do you have a PCMCIA NIC for your laptop?  On similarly configured
machines (I have a Dell Latitude 486DX4-100 w/ 16 MB of RAM that is
currently running RULE-ified RedHat 9 - no CD-ROM at all) network
installs are the easiest way to go.  I can email to you my installation
report for this machine if you like.  How large is the HDD in the
computer?  Something that occurs to me is to add support to the
installer, or create a variant installer, that can create a small
bootable partition on the HDD that can then run an installtion off of
the HDD, accessing the RPMs on the CD-ROM.  That partition could later
be recovered as /tmp or some such.

Regards,
CDRigby
cdrigby at 9online.fr