[RULE] Small hardware donations

Eugene Wong disposable_eugene at hotmail.com
Mon May 17 09:49:33 EEST 2004

>From: Paul Nijjar <pnijjar at utm.utoronto.ca>
>Subject: [RULE] Small hardware donations

>	- RAM (we are throwing away 4MB and 8MB 72 pin RAM)
>	- Maybe hard drives (we have many 500MB drives)
>
>	My question: Would it be worth stockpiling these or other small
>items and then shipping them out?

Stockpile them. It's much cheaper to ship in large quantities. It might also
be useful to stockpile some hard drives, then install 4 of them on to the
same computer, giving you 2 GB. I don't know the market demand, though, so
don't take my word for it. Maybe you could sell some on eBay? It's also a
good way to check the market demand.

Do you come across any blind-deaf technology? I know a guy who has no
computer, but he could use some, because a computer uses much less space
than a Braille book. It might also aid in searches.

>Would they be
>useful? (I would imagine that the RAM might be, but I don't know.)

I could always use a couple of 8 MB 72 pin RAM. I'm using a Pentium Classic
right now.

>	Another question: are there other smallish components we should
>stockpile?

I can't think of any.

>	Shipping costs might be an issue, especially if we ship out hard
>drives. We might be able to work out that issue when we get to it,
>however. I can't imagine shipping for small components would be that much,
>but I have been surprised before.

You can save on shipping costs in Canada. I was planning on starting a mail
order business, & then phoned Canada Post about business rates. You'd have
to ship approximately @ least $1,000 to get your money's worth. Don't quote
me on that, though. Check the web site, & phone them up.

On the phone, they mentioned that companies shipping less than that could
get a special card. You'd still save some money, but just not as much. It
was something along the lines of the business rate saving 10%, & the special
card saving 5%. Like I said, don't take my word for it, but play around with
the calculator on the web site to check out their prices.

Free yourself from those irritating pop-up ads with MSn Premium. Get 2months
FREE*