[RULE] Need help installing Laptop -- floppy & CD-Rom mutually exclusive

bugler at teuton.org bugler at teuton.org
Thu May 20 21:15:06 EEST 2004

Ladies and Gentlemen:

HELP!

I'm installing RULE using slinky v0.3.96 and FC2.  Here's my problem... which I
mentioned before...  The laptop has a floppy drive and a cd-rom... but they use
the same drive bay and they are *NOT* hot-swappable.  Beforehand, OpenBSD was
installed on the computer... but I wanted to see where I could get by using
RULE out-of-the-box.

Now I'm stuck:  in a catch-22.  In order to install the OS to the hard drive, I
need to be able to access the CD-ROM.  In order to access the CD-ROM, I need
the CD-ROM present at boot-time... but if the CD-ROM is in the bay... I can't
boot to the floppy!

After failing to install RULE, and with a freshly repartitioned hard drive, I
tried to use "Smart Boot" as you recommended.  It appeared to install OK, and
the computer booted to the program.  However, when I selected to boot from the
CD-ROM (with the slinky-*.iso CD-R), it said something like "Error OxAA".
Wouldn't boot.

I tried partitioning my drive for:  hda1 (2MB), hda2 (2MB), hda3 (>400MB), hda4
(about 33MB).  I tried to find a way to copy the floppy images to hda1 and
hda2... but I can't find a way to do it without having an OS installed.  Also,
the kernel loaded by RULE only seems to recognize ext* file systems.  I tried
to put disk1 on a FAT floppy and do:

gunzip /mnt/floppy/disk1i~1.gz | dd of=/dev/hda1 bs=1440k

But that didn't work.  Complained about going beyond the file system... and I
think it referred to the /mnt/floppy because it was a FAT file system.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Gabriel