[RULE] PCMCIA problems in Red Hat?

M. Fioretti mfioretti
Sat May 29 22:18:04 EEST 2004

On Sat, May 29, 2004 21:06:22 PM +0200, M. Fioretti  mfioretti  wrote:
> On Sat, May 29, 2004 12:24:29 PM -0600, bugler at teuton.org
>  bugler at teuton.org  wrote:
>
> > When fully installed, the PCMCIA network card was not working.  I
> > understand this to be typical of RedHat / Fedora installs.
>
> I must say that I have my old laptop with RH9, and the same problem:
> it is the one thing that prevents this RH/RULE machine from still
> being fully useable, although 7 years old.

I found a message I got about this very problem from D. Hinds, the
maintainer of the pcmcia-cs package, more than one year ago. Hoping it
might give some clue to Gabriel and others about these "typical
RH/Fedora installs", here it goes:

>> PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin A of device 00:03.0. Please try
>> using pci=biosirq.
>> PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin B of device 00:03.1. Please try
>> using pci=biosirq.
>> Yenta IRQ list 0a80, PCI irq0
>> Socket status: 30000006
>> Yenta IRQ list 0a80, PCI irq0
>> Socket status: 30000006
>
>The PCI errors are due to a bug/limitation in the kernel PCI subsystem
>that is pretty much fatal for PCMCIA.  The pcibios suggestion is
>rarely useful.  You have a few options:
>
>- delete the kernel PCMCIA driver modules and install the pcmcia-cs
>  standalone modules.
>- try installing a 2.2.20 kernel and then the pcmcia-cs package; I'm
>  not sure if that will cause compatibility issues with RH 8.0
>- install an older RH release with a pre-2.4 kernel.
>- try a current 2.5 kernel with ACPI support enabled.
>
>I'm not sure which of these are most likely to help.  None of them are
>trivial for a relative newcomer to linux, unfortunately.

HTH,
Marco F.
--
Marco Fioretti                 mfioretti, at the server mclink.it
Red Hat for low memory         www.rule-project.org

Don't tell me how hard you work.  Tell me how much you get done.
					        James J. Ling