[RULE] Summary of PCMCIA problems in Red Hat

C David Rigby cdrigby at 9online.fr
Tue Jun 1 11:48:10 EEST 2004

Hi Marco,

	This note has a subtitle of "what has not worked so far," but it may be
useful in understanding the issues involved.  If others besides Marco
are interested in the issue, then read on!

Marco, I am assuming that

modprobe pcmcia_core
modprobe yenta_socket
modprobe yenta_socket pci=biosirq
modprobe ds

does not work for you.  This is how I got my Thinkpad 765L (codename
blackbox) to function, as previously indicated in another message.

I fired up the notebook computer I have that previously caused me so
much grief with respect to configuring the i82365.  When I issue the
command

lspci -vvb

the relevant results for the pcmcia controller are:

0000:00:13.0 PCMCIA bridge: Cirrus Logic CL 6729 (rev ee)
         Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
ParErr- Stepping+ SERR- FastB2B-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
         Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 255
         Region 0: I/O ports at fcfc

Note the difference in the format of the output, compared to the result
you got (see Marco's original below).  The last line is of interest for
getting the driver to hande the controller properly in my case.  Now,
admittedly, I am running Debian testing on this machine, but I think
(hope) that the output from the command should follow the same format.
To get the CL 6729 controller recognized, the command I need to use is

modprobe i82365 i365_base=0xfcfc

This assumes that module pcmcia_core is already loaded.  If it is not, I
have to first issue

modprobe pcmcia_core

It seems that your controller hardware is a bit different.  In my case,
there is a I/O port at 0xfcfc.  In your case, the controller seems to be
memory-mapped?

The crux of the matter may be that my Debian testing system is using
David Hind's pcmcia-cs package.  I believe that RH9 uses the in-kernel
pcmcia support.  As the i82365 man page indicates, the i82365 drivers
are significantly different: in-kernel i82365 is for ISA bus only;
yenta_socket for PCI.  DH's external pcmcia-cs uses the same i82365 for
both ISA & PCI.  Since my notebook previously ran an older version of
Slackware, which is where I figured this stuff out, I conclude that
Slackware also uses pcmcia-cs.  Indeed, a quick check with my Slackware
9-based firewall/router notebook shows that pcmcia-cs-3.2.4-i386-1 is
installed.

So, I suspect that you can either install pcmcia-cs (which is not part
of RH9 - you will indeed have to download and compile source, or grab it
from a compatible distribution) or we will have to figure out what it
takes to get yenta_socket working for you.  To that end, I am going to
RULE-install RH9 on my pesky notebook (I left some space on the drive
for RULE/slinky testing, but I need to preserve the existing Debian
system if possible) and see if I can get yenta_socket to work there.  If
I do, it may provide the clues we need to get it functioning for you also.

Tune in next time!  {8->

CDR