[RULE] Thread on fedora-devel about dropping i486 support

M. Fioretti mfioretti
Sat Jun 5 01:15:46 EEST 2004

On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 14:15:41 PM -0700, Oisin Feeley
 ofeeley at yahoo.com  wrote:

> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2004-June/msg00069.html
>
> Discussion with Alan Cox and others about whether or not to only
> support i586,i686 on fedora-devel.  Proposal/request from Matthew
> Miller (Boston U) to create a "Fedora Lite".
>
> It'd be good if Marco could comment on this thread?

Thanks for the link. I have read it, and encourage all members to have
a look at it. The interesting things are that:

dropping 486 won't really buy anything, according to uber-geeks. i386
might be another matter

Many of those people don't have clear what are the real issues with
older HW: things like "even if i386 were still supported, the
*packaging* is often so bad, and the apps so bloated *before* any
distro to be unusable anyway". Or the fact that non-profit
organizations almost never have the in-house expertise to make some
of the hacks they mention.

I'll subscribe to that list tomorrow, and see what they tell me. In
the meantime, please post any comment here.

> (I did evangelize RULE though !).

Good guy! I am playing with the new website (have a look at
http://www.rule-project.org/) and hope to announce it on fedora list
shortly.

--
Marco Fioretti                 mfioretti, at the server mclink.it
Red Hat for low memory         http://www.rule-project.org/

Cyberspace makes every place the same. But we're planning to put five
billion people in it. [That] will freeze the entire species.
Everything will stop dead in its tracks. Everyone will think the same
thing at the same time.        -- Michael Crichton, "The Lost World"

Rule-list at rule-project.org