[RULE] Thread on fedora-devel about dropping i486 support

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Sat Jun 5 08:15:16 EEST 2004

At 21:19 6/4/2004, Da Worm wrote:
>I have yet to manage a RULE install on the one machine I wanted most to
>get going, a Compaq laptop with 8Meg RAM and a 540Meg HD (yeah, I know,
>I'm not likely to either).

Why not? I remember seeing someone document a slinky install into 8MB of
RAM, no? Fuzzy memory.

>For instance, the Sparcstation 20 (60 Mhz PPC) took 9 days to compile KDE
>(that was done just to see if it could be done).

The SS20 is likely to run Aurora Linux 1.0 (a port of RHL-7.3 for sparc)
quite well. I run it on several SS5's and a U1, and it is rock-steady (250
days uptime on my one server box). Besides, an install takes less than 30
minutes which is somewhat quicker. <smile>

Just a thought.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com