[RULE] Thread on fedora-devel about dropping i486 support

M. Fioretti mfioretti
Sat Jun 5 13:45:51 EEST 2004

On Sat, Jun 05, 2004 12:08:40 PM +0200, C David Rigby
 cdrigby at 9online.fr  wrote:

> From reading the thread, it seems that the core issue is that Fedora
> wishes to move exclusively to the use of NPTL (Native POSIX
> Threading Library).  The 486 architecture can support it, the 386
> cannot.  So, continuing to track FC means that we have to also
> eventually drop support for 386 machines. In particular, from that
> discussion it seems to be that rpm already compiles against NPTL and
> thus is going to be problematic for us to use in an installer that
> must run on a 386.
>
> Am I understanding this correctly?

As far as I can understand (please somebody more expert confirm this)
yes, thanks for the nice summary.

--
Marco Fioretti                 mfioretti, at the server mclink.it
Red Hat for low memory         www.rule-project.org

Real Programmers don't play tennis, or any other sport that requires
you to change clothes.  Mountain climbing is OK, and real programmers
wear their climbing boots to work in case a mountain should suddenly
spring up in the middle of the machine room.

Rule-list at rule-project.org