[RULE] RULE Project Website Help

M. Fioretti mfioretti
Tue Jun 8 00:58:56 EEST 2004

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 16:51:41 PM -0400, Henry Hartley
 henryhartley at westat.com  wrote:

> I'd like to volunteer to do some work on the website but don't
> really know where to begin.  A few things I noticed (in no
> particular order):

Henry,
thanks a lot for raising your hands and for the error list.

A partial explanation of what you have noticed:

broken links, as well as crappy formatting, depend from the fact that
the pages have been automatically imported in the current site from the
previous one, which had different layout and different formatting
rules.

The wiki has never been used, so we should fetch whatever it contains,
and remove the link altogether.

The mirror tarball has that date because that is when the old site was
last updated. I have to reactivate the cron job which builds it when I
have cleaned the download area.

>   - On the "How to contribute to the web site" page
>     <http://rule-project.org/article.php3?id_article=53> it
>     says, "Download the text version of the home page to see
>     what I mean."

That refers to the old CMS and doesn't apply anymore. That whole page
needs to be replaced with a summary of what I'm telling you and Ruth
today here on list.

>   - Links to http://savannah.nongnu.org/download/rule/ go to
>     an empty directory.

This has to be removedm at least as primary area.  Have a look at
http://www.rule-project.org/download, particularly the subfolder
rule-test.homelinux.org. It contains the stuff I have to sort again as
said above.

> * The site implies that RULE can be used to install Fedora Core

Yes, our mission is to stay current with the latest stable Red Hat,
now fedora. The reality is that the project had an almost total stop
in the latest months, and the main installer developer, M. Fratoni,
is still quite busy offline. Hence we must put everything together to
restart development.

> Anyway, I'd like to help.  I'm not God's gift to the web but I
> have some time and interest.  What do I need to do?

I'd say (take this as a draft for the new "how to contribute" page)
first click on the "made with spip" button at the bottom of each page.
Once there, turn to the english section, and get familiar with
spip. Don't worry, the only thing you really need to figure out is how
to format and submit the articles (there's a page there just for this
purpose).

After that, you need to wait 24/48 hours (95% of that is for me to
figure out how to register you as contributor, the rest to actually do
it).

IN the meantime, do continue to send here on list any other error you
find, so it remains registered.

Thanks again,

Marco Fioretti                 mfioretti, at the server mclink.it
Red Hat for low memory         www.rule-project.org

It isn't easy being a Friday kind of person in a Monday kind of world.