[RULE] Reducing disk usage

Ingraham, Ed edward.ingraham at siemens.com
Thu Jun 10 20:42:14 EEST 2004

At 13:39 6/8/2004, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:

>At 12:36 6/8/2004, Ingraham, Ed wrote:
>>Now I'm interested in trimming the HD size down from its present 280MB
>>to ~100MB.
>
>Please issue this command as root:
>
># rpm -qa | sort > /root/pkglist
>
>Then place that file somewhere I can grab it via FTP or HTTP, and I'll take

>a look to see what packages may be eliminated.
>
>Also, please post to the list the output of the following commands:
>
># fdisk -l /dev/hda
># df -m
># free

Since I already rpm -e 'ed some packages, I offer two files:

www.wx4s.net/pkglist1 is the result of the original RULE install. It lists
163 packages. df showed 250MB used.
www.wx4s.net/pkglist2 is the result of some rpm -e actions. It lists 94
packages. df shows 192MB used.

The difference between pkglist1 and pkglist2 was my attempt to duplicate a
reduced list of packages that I found somewhere on the RULE website. But I
didn't get nearly as small a HD size.

Corresponding to pkglist2, here is the output from the commands (hdc1 is
PCMCIA Compact Flash card):

# fdisk -l /dev/hda
Disk /dev/hda: 6007 MB, 6007357440 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 730 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1             1        25    200781   83  Linux
/dev/hda2            26       245   1767150   83  Linux
/dev/hda3           246       270    200812+  82  Linux swap
/dev/hda4           271       730   3694950   83  Linux

# df -m
Filesystem           1M-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda2                 1699       192      1456  12% /
none                         3         0         3   0% /dev/shm
/dev/hdc1                    8         1         8   1% /mnt/pcm

# free
Mem:          5080       4996         84          0        176       2584
-/+ buffers/cache:       2236       2844
Swap:       200804       1772     199032

Goals:
Duplicate the installation on the same machine with total 260MB HD. (20MB
swap, 140MB Linux, 100MB user)
Only text mode. I don't have the MHz or MB for graphics.
Only English.
SSH client via Ethernet and IEEE802.11b.

Any ideas for other things to remove are welcome. It's quite ok to remove
too much and then reinstall a couple of packages to eliminate errors. I'm
probably beyond that point already for networking.

I have discovered that rpm -q --whatrequires sometimes says "no package
requires", but rpm -e still fails due to dependencies. Any advice on that
would be welcome, too.

When I get the Linux installation configured as I want, I expect to write
the procedure down (shell script?) to start with the RULE installation and
produce mine. Of course, I would expect that RULE would want to make that
available for others.

Thanks,
Ed

Rule-list at rule-project.org