[RULE] Reducing disk usage

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Thu Jun 10 21:43:17 EEST 2004

At 11:42 6/10/2004, Ingraham, Ed wrote:
>www.wx4s.net/pkglist2 is the result of some rpm -e actions. It lists 94
>packages. df shows 192MB used.

Starting from pkglist2, some suggestions of packages you could remove:

bzip2-1.0.2-8
bzip2-libs-1.0.2-8
diffutils-2.8.1-6
hotplug-2002_04_01-17
info-4.3-5
krb5-libs-1.2.7-10
lvm-1.0.3-12
make-3.79.1-17
man-1.5k-6
openldap-2.0.27-8
pcre-3.9-10
perl-5.8.0-88
perl-Filter-1.29-3
readline-4.3-5
slang-1.4.5-16
vim-common-6.1-29
vixie-cron-3.0.1-74
which-2.14-5
wireless-tools-25-8

Just a quick pass at your list to get started. A special note about
"vim-common" which is nearly 10MB on my newer boxen... all it contains that
is needed by "vim-minimal" is some of the documentation. You can likely
"rpm -e --force vim-common" with no ill effects; alternately, you can
upgrade to the newest vim-minimal in FC2 which has had this requirement
removed for the same reason.

Also, I suggest you check any package with "lib" in its name: libacl,
libattr, libwhatever. Run "rpm -e --test libacl" and see what happens. If
it does not report any errors, you can safely remove it.

See how far that takes you, then post again with pkglist3 and the disk usage!

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com
http://www.simpaticus.com