[RULE] Reducing disk usage

Ingraham, Ed edward.ingraham at siemens.com
Mon Jun 14 16:00:53 EEST 2004

At 12:43:17, 10 Jun 2004, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:

>Starting from pkglist2, some suggestions of packages you could remove:
>
>See how far that takes you, then post again with pkglist3 and the disk
>usage!

Most of the packages which you suggested were removed and the results are in
www.wx4s.net/pkglist3
www.wx4s.net/output3

df shows 166MB now (down from the original 278MB).

Notes:
bzip2-libs, removal caused rpm to quit working.
pcre, removal caused grep to fail in many places during system startup and
shutdown.
make, removal required --noscripts due to preun script errors.
groff, removal required --noscripts due to preun script errors.
libgcc, removal succeeded after groff removal.
libstdc++, removal succeeded after groff removal.
vim-common, removal required --nodeps (as you said)

I performed a new installation before these last changes, so I renewed the
pkglist1 and pkglist2 files on the website above. While I was attempting to
reinstall pcre, the system hung (6 hours) while mounting the iso. I believe
this problem was caused by a power loss some weeks ago and resulting file
system errors which e2fsck may not have corrected properly.

Any other suggestions to remove unnecessary items?

Regards,
Ed

Rule-list at rule-project.org