[RULE] Attempt 3: Toshiba Satellite 115CS

Da Worm daworm at comcast.net
Fri Jun 25 05:42:10 EEST 2004

On 6/24/2004 at 9:33 AM Ingraham, Ed wrote:

>I would have used this method to install on my old notebook, but
>being new to Linux, I felt that pcmcia and networking were too much
>to take on without a good description.

Looks like it will not be until next week until I can pursue this.  I know for a fact now that I will have to add my nic driver to one disk image, not sure which.  My Gentoo machine is inconvenient to access (rack server with no floppy unless I down it, open the case and snake a wire out - no bays are left for one as it is full of removable HD's and a DVD drive) so it's harder than normal to get things going.  I would rather be able to set things up so that someone who doesn't have Linux at all could do it.  So I will have a look at the build scripts for creating a disk image and try to build one and put it online somewhere.  What would be great is to have a system like (IIRC) LPR has (or had, been a year or two since I looked), where you could go to a web page, pick the modules you need, and it would build a custom image you could download and rawrite to a boot floppy.  That's beyond my skills, though.  So in the meantime, it looks like if your NIC driver isn't included on one of the floppies, then you'll have to have a working linux system to build a RULE system, just to put the driver onto a disk.  Perhaps that's not too much of a problem, though.  There are probably more people with a working linux system interested in RULE than those without.  I suppose another solution is to create a NIC disk image with as many drivers that will fit on it.  My Gentoo box's .../drivers/net directory is less than 1.1 meg, so presumably just about everything should fit on one floppy.  I think this could be scripted as well (present a list, pick a driver), but I'll have to check.  DOS batch is what I know, and shell scripting is nothing like that, but I can figure it out eventually.  As I said, I'll know more next week when I get back into town and can work on it some more.

BTW, not to change the subject, but has anyone ever got PCMCIA working on a MicroQuest/Twinhead P79T notebook?  Something about the 32bit cardbus system on it doesn't assign IRQ's in a way that any linux I've tried on it (Gentoo, Mandrake 10, Suse ??, Redhat 8) can work with.  Always an error about PIN A or something not having an IRQ.  Frustrating, as it is a P166, and the fastest laptop I have.

Jeff.

Rule-list at rule-project.org