[RULE] Install guide rearranged

Gabriel M. Beddingfield gabriel at teuton.org
Fri Jul 2 16:47:34 EEST 2004

Marco,  The new install guide is nicer!  When I was installing, I noticed it
needed reformatting -- but I held my tongue because I was new to the list.

Suggestion:  In "prerequisites" (or in a "system requirements" section), there
should probably be some general system requirement information.  IIRC, it will
look something like this:

Processor:  Intel 386 compatible, or newer
Memory:  12MB RAM to install
        ???MB RAM to run TinyX
        ???MB RAM to run XFree86
Hard Drive:  250MB for minimal install
             500MB for graphical install (TinyX or XFree86)
             (Plus extra space for user data)
Install Media:
    You must have ONE of the following configurations.
    (1) Bootable CD-ROM drive.
    (2) Bootable floppy drive with a CD-ROM drive that is either always
installed or hot swappable.
    (3) Bootable floppy drive and network card with network access to the
contents of the CD-ROMs (NFS, FTP, or HTTP).
    (4) Bootable floppy with the CD-ROM ISO images somewhere on the hard drive.
    (5) Bootable floppy with the contents of the CD-ROMs somewhere on the hard
drive.
    (6) [did I miss one?]

(Note: If you put the contents of the CD-ROM on the hard drive, you will still
need 250/500MB above that to install.)

In general, Linux is lacking in this sort of up-front "is it even worth my
time" information.  :-)

QUESTION:  Someone once asked me to edit the install guide with my experiences
from installing on my computer.  At the time they asked that I do it in the
text version.  I am still committed to doing this, I just haven't taken the
time yet.  WHICH FILE SHOULD I EDIT WITH MY EXPERIENCES?

Related:  does anyone know of an RPM command that lets you know what the size
of the package (on the disk) will be once it is installed?

Kind regards,
Gabriel

--
Gabriel M. Beddingfield