[RULE] APT, YUM or URPMI on RULE, was: Mini-KDE

david jamison david.jamison1 at ntlworld.com
Tue Jul 20 23:03:26 EEST 2004

>...if you just do this with the standard repositories on an old
>computer you are toast: the hard drive will be filled up in one
>nanosecond by unneeded or generally bloated stuff, from locales for
>all the languages you'll never speak to plugins for every database
>known to man...
>

>apt or equivalent should be installable with RULE, but until we or
>somebody else find the way to create alternate, light repositories,
>they just let in from the back entrance the problem we kicked out
>giving up anaconda: bloated packages and, shall we say,
>over/ill conceived dependency. That's why I came up with the mini-kde
>thing: try to figure out how to make an rpm set with less
>dependencies.

This was really why I posted my query originally! Liams suggestion of
APT etc is obviously a way forward but given the "brief" for RULE I
wasnt so sure that it was valid if only from the standpoint of having to
install something to install what was originally wanted! Therefore a
question here would be is there any way of at least having APT (et al)
list out what it intends to install to permit choice? Im always wary of
automatic update type things due to this loss of control!

Isnt it amazing that by trying to work on one project another is born?

Best Wishes

David