[RULE] Mini-KDE

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Tue Jul 20 23:17:04 EEST 2004

david jamison wrote:

> I am attempting to install Qt on the box that has a bare RULE
> install. To do this I *think* I need to also install GCC and GLIBC so
> working from RPMfind I choose gcc-3.2.2-5.i386.rpm and
> glibc-2.3.2-11.9.i386.rpm as they are both for RH9.

First of all, start with Qt's dependencies, and not with what you
*think* you need. You'll need GCC only if you want to compile Qt from
source.

> GLIBC installs fine.  GCC gives a dependency of glibc-devel >=
> 2.2.90-12.  So RPMfind gives me glibc-devel-2.3.2-11.9.i386.rpm for
> RH 9 which in turn gives a dependency for kernel-headers >=2.2.1
> again RPMfind gives me kernel-2.4.20-30.9.i386.rpm which is a 13MB
> file for RH9 so im assuming this is an entire updated kernel? When
> this is installed glibc-devel still wants the kernel-headers >=2.2.1.
>
> So question is where did I go wrong?  Im pretty sure using the kernel
> rpm is not correct but there does not appear to be a kernel-headers
> rpm for RH9. I tried kernel-headers-2.4.17-1.i586.rpm but this wants
> kernel=2.4.17 (which is obviously fair enough)

Why are you using rpmfind instead of the original RHL9 CDs? The RPMs
there will satisfy all dependencies. Qt is, as base of KDE, included in
RHL9 (not sure if in kdebase or on its own, I don't use KDE).

As Liam is suggesting, installing yum, apt or uprmi will make it easier
for you to install software, because these programs, once configured
correctly, do resolve dependencies on their own. I recommend to use the
rpms provided by the Fedora Legacy Project http://www.fedoralegacy.org/
- they are thoroughly tested.

Best regards,
Martin Stricker