[RULE] APT, YUM or URPMI on RULE, was: Mini-KDE

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Wed Jul 21 22:48:51 EEST 2004

Liam Proven wrote:

> M. Fioretti wrote:
>
> > ...if you just do this with the standard repositories on an old
> > computer you are toast: the hard drive will be filled up in one
> > nanosecond by unneeded or generally bloated stuff, from locales for
> > all the languages you'll never speak to plugins for every database
> > known to man...
>
> Ah, yes, OK, good point.
>
> I have not yet put this to the test, but I think that this is a
> weakness of the way that RPMs are built. APT-RPM uses information
> that's already in RPM packages to work out which ones it needs to
> get, but RPMs aren't built with that in mind, so often, APT needs to
> install a big RPM containing lots of stuff to get one supporting
> library that happens to be in there.

I wouldn't blame the package format for this (though .deb has its
advantages) but the packager. You can package each library on its own in
both package format, and you can package a whole bunch of stuff in one
package in both formats. It just happens that in this case the Debian
guys to the right thing.

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Linux Migration Project: http://www.linux-migration.org/