[RULE] APT, YUM or URPMI on RULE, was: Mini-KDE

M. Fioretti mfioretti
Fri Jul 23 03:06:01 EEST 2004

On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 07:35:52 AM -0500, James Miller
 jamtat at mailsnare.net  wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jul 2004, david jamison wrote:
>
> > Maybe this, in part, is a good reason to stay with RH9 for now?
> > Im watching the Fedora mailing list and there are comments comming
> > on there that Fedora will always be a developmental rather than a
> > production distro and I must admit that thought had crossed my
> > mind from what Ive read on the Fedora concept.  Im sure Red Hat
> > *really* want people to use RHEL with Fedora being at best a test
> > bed. Should RULE not stick with RH9 and its legacy project for the
> > foreseeable future and keep a watch on Fedora to see how it
> > matures?

The point of RULE is to offer current applications, as much as we
can. RH9 is already ~18 months old. I agree that something that by
design is rebuilt every 6 months it's a bit too fast. Nothing would
prevent us (apart from having only 24 hours in a day, that is) from
upgrading the installer for every Fedora, and then recommend for
general use any other release: FC2, FC4 or FC3, FC5...

> Might not White Box Linux be another option?  It's basically a
> generically packaged RHEL. There may be other distros that track and
> clone RHEL as well.

I'm not sure how much RHEL an clones would be a good match for RULE,
but feel encouraged to prove me wrong. (at least) half of the
"mission" for RULE is not on hacking but on providing a modern desktop
to possibly unexperienced end users. In a way that enables them to
walk on their legs as soon as possible.

This implies a distribution that has the **largest** possible
(desktop) user base, for active online support. The Fedora list gets
~100 msg a day. Compare with the RH9 mailing list. I've asked for help
there several times since last spring, and never got an answer. It's
almost abandoned now. I'd imagine that RHEL clones are mostly used by
experienced sysadmins for server work. Not the best match for a RULE
user, I guess.

What does all this leave, besides Fedora? Slackware, Mandrake, what
else? Feedback is welcome

As mentioned many times, anybody who knows how to do the RULE thing
(really minimal install, which runs fast giving modern desktop
functionality) on other distros, by all means please come and do it, so we
can test it. What matters is the end result.

Ciao,
	Marco F.

--
Marco Fioretti                    mfioretti, at the server mclink.it
Red Hat & Fedora for low memory   http://www.rule-project.org/

Life is what happens whilst you're busy making other plans
                                                 (John Lennon)

Rule-list at rule-project.org