[RULE] APT, YUM or URPMI on RULE, was: Mini-KDE

Gabriel M. Beddingfield gabriel at teuton.org
Wed Jul 28 16:13:48 EEST 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 19:06, M. Fioretti wrote:

> What does all this leave, besides Fedora? Slackware, Mandrake, what
> else? Feedback is welcome

SUGGESTION 1:
Not to beat a dead horse (since I know it has been suggested before)...
but what about Gentoo?

Hear me out:  The stated purpose of Gentoo is "ultimate
configurability," *NOT* performance.  Sure, Gentoo caters to the Linux
users who want to make tons of custom tweaks -- but they are also
looking to be more friendly to the folks who want to do binary installs
(rather than compiling from source).  Also, portage system (emerge)
appears to have many more packages in the DB than with yum.  The install
CD is a small initial download... but then you are installing packages
over the network.  Perhaps this can be improved upon for people using
9600 baud modems.  If Gentoo can't already be customized for a RULE
install, the Gentoo developers may be interested in
cooperating/partnering.

Since I'm looking to switch my desktop system from FC2 to Gentoo, I've
been researching Gentoo.

SUGGESTION 2:
This one is a total shot in the dark:  what about Knoppix?

I D/L'ed a Knoppix LiveCD a few weeks ago while working on a small
project... and I am very impressed.  Indeed, running from the CD-ROM,
Knoppix matched or bettered the performance of FC2 on my system.  (My
system is a Celeron 800MHz w/128MB.)  Interesting scenarios that come to
mind:

1. RULE could make/alter an installer to install Knoppix on a hard
drive.
2. RULE could make an installer that boots to the hard drive, but runs
the OS from the CD-ROM.  (That is, in systems that are not able to boot
to CD-ROM.)
3. RULE could make an installer that still boots to the CD-ROM, but
Knoppix configured on the hard drive.

--
Gabriel M. Beddingfield
gabriel at teuton.org