[RULE] APT, YUM or URPMI on RULE, was: Mini-KDE

Gabriel M. Beddingfield gabriel at teuton.org
Thu Jul 29 02:42:24 EEST 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-28 at 17:09, Martin Stricker wrote:
> In both cases the CD-ROM drive is unusable, or you'll need two CD-ROM
> drives. I know there are certain circumstances where you would want to
> use such a setup, but for a regular but old computer (which is the main
> target for RULE) I don't think these setups are nice to use. Don't get
> me wrong, I don't have anything against developing such solutions, I
> just see little use for them.

Agreed.  But in my situation I have a 500MB HD on a laptop.  Booting to
HD and running the OS from the CD-ROM would free up a ton of hard drive
space for me.  After all, beating the system typically means making
trade-offs.

...But the bigger picture is one that I've been chewing on for a while.
RULE's game-plan is to track RH/Fedora.  However, the hardware
requirements of Fedora appear to be quickly leaving the little guy
behind.  This makes sense, because Fedora is basically the test-bed for
RHEL.  RHEL being the "enterprise solution" is a product that requires
"enterprise bloat."  Competing against Windows XP and Windows Server...
they have to maintain the bloat to stay competative.  Why?  When a
computer geek says "bloat," the rank-and-file user says "features."

There seems to be uncertainty about chasing Fedora, and I think there is
good reason.  Extrapolating into the future, switching distros may be
the way to go.

Peace,
Gabriel

--