Alternatives to Fedora Core, was: [RULE] APT, YUM...

Gabriel M. Beddingfield gabriel at teuton.org
Thu Jul 29 15:12:27 EEST 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-28 at 23:13, M. Fioretti wrote:
> 1.b (Gentoo specific): how do you upgrade gentoo? Can you use and
>     upgrade Gentoo for one year without compiling anything?

Upgrade:  Instead of running 'up2date' you run 'emerge -u world'

One year:  I'm not sure... but Gentoo has stated that they are at least
heading in that direction.  viz.
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=2#doc_chap3

Here are some excerpts from the "philosophy page"
(http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/philosophy.xml)

> People liked the Portage concept, and Gentoo Linux grew rapidly. We have become known as a "from source" distribution, but the heart of the Gentoo concept is not "from source." "From source" is an important and key aspect of Gentoo, and something that was and will continue to be necessary for Gentoo, but it is not the only issue or most fundamental issue. The most fundamental issue is designing a technology that allows us and others to do what they want to do, without restriction.

> It's important that our tools support binary packages, because binary packages are widely used and widely in demand in the Linux community. If our tools don't support binary packages, then we can't claim that our tools are designed to allow a user to do anything he or she might want to do.

Peace,
Gabriel

--
Gabriel M. Beddingfield