[RULE] APT, YUM or URPMI on RULE, was: Mini-KDE

James Miller jamtat at mailsnare.net
Thu Jul 29 23:38:52 EEST 2004

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004, M. Fioretti wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 00:40:44 AM -0500, James Miller
>  jamtat at mailsnare.net  wrote:
>
> > Other than this, apt-get really does work pretty much like it does
> > on a regular Debian install, though. I have run into one dependency
> > hang up that apt-get -f install couldn't fix however, and I think
> > it's because of the peculair way apt has been tweaked for DSL.
>
> Yes, this is what worried me: what does it mean exactly? Can it fetch
> and install standard debian packages? And would they work on a base
> DSL install?

For example, on one DSL install I did, after fixing apt-get (sudo
dpkg-restore was the command, as I recall), I immediately changed
repositories in sources.list from stable to unstable, then ran apt-get
update (updates the local package list) then apt-get dist-upgrade
(upgrades the entire system to unstable).  The system worked pretty well
after that - not too many problems.  I was a bit surprised by this.  They
disabled man in the CD version, so I had to do some tweaking to get man
pages back.  And, as I said, the system apparently has no list of
installed packages from the CD version, so you can't apt-get remove any of
those programs.  In summary, the apt you get with a DSL hard drive install
is slightly crippled.  It works fine for most things, but there are some
points where it fails or causes inconvenience.  None of these were
system-threatening in my case.  The machine ran great until I tried to
apt-get some X utilities: I lost Xvesa after this.  That did prove
system-threatening.

James

Rule-list at rule-project.org