Alternatives to Fedora Core, was: [RULE] APT, YUM...

Da Worm daworm at comcast.net
Mon Aug 2 00:44:11 EEST 2004

On 7/30/2004 at 2:06 AM M. Fioretti wrote:

>Great, thanks. Please consider the possibility of formatting whatever you
>find for publication on the website, so we can keep track of what has
>been tested.

Whew!  I'd forgotten what a pain ISA based systems that can't boot from CD
can be!  Anyway, I've spent most of the day today getting four systems to
a known good hardware point (well, I can boot and detect CD's and NIC's
anyway).  The systems are as follows:

P90 - 48M RAM, 1.6G HD
P200 MMX - 32M RAM, 10G HD
PII-400 - 64M RAM, 4G HD, 2.6G HD, 1.6G HD
AMD 800 Mhz - 384M RAM, 20G HD

I'll write up my progress with these machines with Gentoo, and see what
can be learned about how big the installs will be, how easily they are
updated, and how hard it will be to make custom builds that will support
them.  I downloaded the whole 2004.2 distro, and will first try the stage 3
prebuilt binaries as a reference, then go with a stage 1 from source build.
If I get time, I'll also try a RH9 RULE install, and compare.

All of these will be CD and/or Net installed.  I have broadband, and all of
the machines are connected to a KVM and switch, so I will try to work on
all of them at once.  I bought a notebook to jot down what I do and when.
Does anyone know a quick script I can pass each of my command lines
that will log the start and stop time of each process, so that if I go away
and come back, I'll know how long something took?

Does anyone see a need for trying anything lower?  I can probably build
a 486 DX2-50 machine, but I don't know if I can get more than 16M RAM
in it, as I don't think I have enough 4M 32 pin SIMMS to get to 32M.  I'd
guess such a system would probably be CLI only as well.

I'll try to give more detail in a later post (sound card, VGA card, NIC,
motherboard, etc.) but this is where I am planning on starting.  Somebody
let me know if I should drop one of these machines in favor of something
else before I get too far.

Jeff.

Rule-list at rule-project.org