[RULE] Attempt 3: Toshiba Satellite 115CS

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Fri Aug 6 15:44:51 EEST 2004

Da Worm wrote:

> So in the meantime, it looks like if your NIC driver isn't included
> on one of the floppies, then you'll have to have a working linux
> system to build a RULE system, just to put the driver onto a disk.

This is correct. The boot floppies for Slinky are formatted with the
ext2 filesystem. I think there is a ext2 filesystem driver for Windows
out there, but I have no idea where and how good it is.

Correction: A short search turned up these:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsd doesn't seem to support floppies
completely
http://www.tuningsoft.com/projects/projects.htm is the same software.
http://ashedel.chat.ru/ext2fsnt/ Write support seems to cost money
http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/ext2ifs.htm read-only
http://freesourcecodes.tripod.com/ext2.htm only for Windows NT 4.x
Be careful, all drivers are in alpha or beta state, thus they may detroy
both the ext2 filesystem you try to use and your Windows installation!

> My Gentoo box's .../drivers/net directory is less than 1.1 meg, so
> presumably just about everything should fit on one floppy.  I think
> this could be scripted as well (present a list, pick a driver), but
> I'll have to check.  DOS batch is what I know, and shell scripting is
> nothing like that, but I can figure it out eventually.  As I said,
> I'll know more next week when I get back into town and can work on it
> some more.

This is a very interesting idea! Using the slinky-detect boot floppy,
even someone who doesn't know what NIC he has might be able to determine
the chip.

By the way, it would be nice if you could tell your e-mail software to
break lines so the lines are less than 80 characters long (I'm sometimes
read my mail on a Linux console which has 80 characters). 72 is a
commonly used line length. Thank you!

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Linux Migration Project: http://www.linux-migration.org/