[RULE] FWD: Re: Compiling rpm statically?

M. Fioretti mfioretti
Mon Aug 9 21:10:44 EEST 2004

Hello,

I asked help on the rpm developers list to compile statically for
porting slinky to FC2. So far, this is what I've got. Hope it helps
the real programmers on the list :-)

If you have further questions or bugs, please consider joining that
list temporarily, it is really low volume.

----- Forwarded message from Jeff Johnson <jbj at redhat.com> -----

Subject: Re: Compiling rpm statically?
From: Jeff Johnson <jbj at redhat.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 14:01:36 -0400
To: "M. Fioretti" <mfioretti>,
	RPM Package Manager <rpm-list at redhat.com>

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 08:25:22AM +0200, M. Fioretti wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> last week I asked the question below, without result:
>
> > > to fit on a boot floppy and into small RAM, rpm for Fedora Core 2
> > > must be compiled statically against a slimmed-down clib, in
> > > Slinky's case busybox.
>
> Maybe this question was too specific, but do you have any
> general information/proven makefile/tip/whatever on compiling rpm
> statically?

Edit Makefile.am, uncomment the -all-static. Note that static
linking does not uncouple rpm from needing various modules from
glibc et al, as "static" just means that dlopen is included in the binary,
not that everything necessary for running is linked into the executable.

There are some legacy issues with thread local storage and NPTL that
make it difficult to statically link /bin/rpm as traditionally. However,
static linking is still there, and known to "work", I do it all the time
to simplify debugging break points.

You might also be better off with the rpm support in busybox if you
are trying to creata a rescue mode disk.

73 de Jeff

--
Jeff Johnson	ARS N3NPQ
jbj at redhat.com  jbj at jbj.org
Chapel Hill, NC

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Marco Fioretti                    mfioretti, at the server mclink.it
Red Hat & Fedora for low memory   http://www.rule-project.org/

                                                       R. A. Heinlein

Rule-list at rule-project.org