Alternatives to Fedora Core, was: [RULE] APT, YUM...

Da Worm daworm at comcast.net
Fri Aug 13 08:06:10 EEST 2004

On 8/12/2004 at 7:54 AM Gabriel M. Beddingfield wrote:

>This may be coming to you a bit late... but since I'm also working on a
>gentoo
>install on a 486-66MHz/16MB/1.2GB, I've been playing with this a bit.

Thanks for the tips.  I've had a bit of trouble with binary only install as well.
However, I've also been a bit distracted of late, for two reasons.  One is
that the Gentoo install via stage 1 is just plain too slow for most people.
Two, I found a couple of pages on how to build a LiveCD/Universal CD that
not only explain how to make the CD, but also boot from a USB
memory stick as small as 64M.  That, plus a page about a "stage 4" build
that is basically a binary image of a working system got me thinking in
other directions.  I think I may be able to put together a bootable CD
that can run almost out of the box (lack of swap space being the biggest
hurdle, but if this is destined to be installed, then that's not a problem).  It
will probably have to have a modular kernel with lots of drivers that most
won't need, but the kernel drivers generally are pretty small, and I may be
able to cherry pick them between the CD and the hard drive.

Jeff.

Rule-list at rule-project.org