Alternatives to Fedora Core, was: [RULE] APT, YUM...

Gabriel M. Beddingfield gabriel at teuton.org
Fri Aug 13 15:28:43 EEST 2004

On Friday 13 August 2004 00:06, Da Worm wrote:
> Two, I found a couple of pages on how to build a LiveCD/Universal CD that
> not only explain how to make the CD, but also boot from a USB
> memory stick as small as 64M.  That, plus a page about a "stage 4" build
> that is basically a binary image of a working system got me thinking in
> other directions.  I think I may be able to put together a bootable CD
> that can run almost out of the box (lack of swap space being the biggest
> hurdle, but if this is destined to be installed, then that's not a
> problem).  It

Cool!  This morning, I was thinking about something like this as well.  Sort
of "cloning" a gentoo install.  Once up, the user could (maybe) use the
normal package management to maintain their system.  There's precedence for
doing that, too (viz. the 386 kernel on the Slinky CD).

I was wondering, though:  would this run RULE dangerously close to being a new
distro?  (Open for discussion.)

--
Gabriel M. Beddingfield
gabriel at teuton.org