[RULE] OFFTOPIC: LiveCD issues.

Gabriel M. Beddingfield gabriel at teuton.org
Fri Aug 13 20:04:29 EEST 2004

On Friday 13 August 2004 09:05, smooge at mindspring.com wrote:
> On a more RULE issue.. what is considered a older box these days. I have
> had to send my 486 and older boxes to the recycler because the MB had
> gotten hardware problems and it was cheaper to get a 'newer' old 686
> than a replacement.

After playing around with this 486/66MHz and also a PI/233MHz, I'm inclined to
agree with the VUM (Ingo's group) "minimual system":

"Here are the minimum hardware requirements needed to run the vum:BOX.

cpu: Pentium 586 II, 200 Mhz
harddisk: at least 1 GB
standard VGA/SVGA video adapter
CDROM (for installation purposes)
3,5 diskdrive
32-64 mb ram

The kernel will be optimized for the usage on 586 - systems."
(cf. http://www.vum.at/vum-box/)

I'm thinking about setting up a PI 233MHz, and even it is almost too slow.
Compiling "Hello, World" is actually a chore because it's so slow.

--
Gabriel M. Beddingfield
gabriel at teuton.org

**** NEED A SMART, PROBLEM-SOLVING BSME? ****