[RULE] OFFTOPIC: LiveCD issues.

Paul Nijjar pnijjar at utm.utoronto.ca
Fri Aug 13 20:35:44 EEST 2004

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004, Gabriel M. Beddingfield wrote:

> On Friday 13 August 2004 09:05, smooge at mindspring.com wrote:
>
> cpu: Pentium 586 II, 200 Mhz
> harddisk: at least 1 GB
> standard VGA/SVGA video adapter
> CDROM (for installation purposes)
> 3,5 diskdrive
> 32-64 mb ram
	Add 16bit colour and 800x600 resolution for the video adapter.
32MB RAM is a good threshold, but I think 16MB is doable.

	Note that I would apply these standards to desktop systems.
Notebooks are another story, because they are more precious and cannot be
upgraded as well.

> I'm thinking about setting up a PI 233MHz, and even it is almost too slow.
> Compiling "Hello, World" is actually a chore because it's so slow.
	Really? My main system at home is a P1MMX 266MHz with 32MB of RAM.
Compilation is not super-fast, but it is doable. Our server here is a PII
233MHz system (with 64MB RAM), and I compile kernels on it.

- Paul

Rule-list at rule-project.org