[RULE] Install report: 486-66MHz/16MB/1.2GB

Gabriel M. Beddingfield gabriel at teuton.org
Sat Aug 14 06:44:31 EEST 2004

On Thursday 12 August 2004 16:32, Paul Nijjar wrote:
>         It would be interesting to see whether this computer is usable
> with DamnSmallLinux. Specifically, you do a hard drive install of the
> distro, use "click and load" to get Abiword installed, and see whether
> Abiword is usable. If it is not then we have no information. If it does

I couldn't get DSL installed on the hard drive.  I think there's a problem
with the 'mkliloboot' script.  I tried a few workarounds, but I couldn't get
AbiWord working.  Since there's no NIC, "click and load" will take some extra
creativity.

My last attempt:
(1) boot: dsl tohd=/dev/hda2
(2) ftp via ppp & null modem to get the .dsl packages... putting htem
on /dev/hda1 since /dev/hda2 is ro
(3) boot: dsl fromhd=/dev/hda2 mydsl=/dev/hda1
(4) When DSL tries to install AbiWord, it complains that it runs out of
ramdisk.  (The DSL pkg is 8MB.)

What I *did* find is that you *might* be on to something.  The xterm in DSL
seemed much more responsive than the one in RH9.  (Granted, this is a
subjective determination.)

However, I really need to move on... so I'm going to stop messing around with
this 486.

Peace,
Gabriel

--