[RULE] FWD: Re: Compiling rpm statically?

Ingo Lantschner ingo.lists at vum.at
Fri Sep 10 09:55:39 EEST 2004

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 01:20:33 +0200, Franz Zahaurek <fzk at fzk.at> wrote:

> In detail:
>
> *) setup.sh to use localized keymaps.  This is documented in:
> http://www.fzk.at/SLINKY/ There is a readymade disk1 with kernel 2.6.7
> and busybox-0.60.5 at:
> http://www.fzk.at/SLINKY/slinky-v0.3.97b-vumbox.img to test this
> change.
>
> *) later I used the now actual kernel 2.6.8.1.  See its .config at:
> http://www.fzk.at/SLINKY/kernel-2.6.8.1-config  This can be used with
> make oldconfig.  And the resulting kernel itself at
> http://www.fzk.at/SLINKY/kernel-2.6.8.1-bzImage - use it as a
> replacement for vmlinuz-rule.
> [...}
> *) everything put together as disk1 and disk2 can be found at:
> http://www.fzk.at/SLINKY/slinky-fzk01-disk1.img and
> http://www.fzk.at/SLINKY/slinky-fzk01-disk2.img
Please allow the technical-not-so-advanced to ask a may be stupid
question: Does this mean, if I take the above mentioned disks from Franz,
that  I can install a Linux with 2.6 Kernel (Fedora Core 2 may be) on
limited HW and run it?! And can I then use all the many FC2-rpms around to
install up-to-date-Software? That would be great. During the last weeks I
felt more and more the pain of running an outdated OS - this reminded me
of the importance of the rUle-projcet :-) (The capitalized U by intention).

Regards, Ingo.

P.S. I have now some experience in running IP-Telephony Software (ITU
H323) on rulified systems - will publish this soon. This was the reason,
for my wish to have a more recent OS, many of the software is no more
available for 2.4 Kernel or as Redhat9-rpm.

Rule-list at rule-project.org