[RULE] FWD: Re: Compiling rpm statically?

Jason Bechtel bechtel at sdf.lonestar.org
Sat Sep 11 20:26:45 EEST 2004

On Saturday, Sep 11, 2004 at  3:24 PM, Franz Zahaurek typed:
> "Gabriel M. Beddingfield" <gabriel teuton org> writes:
>
> > On Wednesday 01 September 2004 18:20, Franz Zahaurek wrote:
> >> [...]
> >> http://www.fzk.at/SLINKY/kernel-2.6.8.1-bzImage - use it as a
> >> replacement for vmlinuz-rule.
> >
> > FYI, the 2.6.8 Kernel broke most of the CD-writing programs for
> > everyone except root.  If you need to write CD's, you may consider
> > sticking with 2.6.7.  (Yeah, in older hardware, this isn't a big
> > issue... just FYI.)
> >
> > I saw some updates to cdrecord, mkisofs, and the like recently... so
> > they may be fixing it on the application side (rather than in the
> > kernel)... but my K3B still doesn't work with 2.6.8 (unless you run
> > as root -- which is not recommended).
>
> To find out what's wrong please report an error message and check the
> following things:
>
> *) Ownership and permissions of the CD-Device you are writing to.
> *) Ownership and permissions of the programs cdrecord, ... are they setuid?
>
> - Franz

I read about this on LWN.  I can't find the article now, but this was
intentionally broken in order to correct the way that the SCSI command
layer works.  I don't think you can fix it by changing permissions.  The
applications and drivers will have to be fixed to assign the proper
capabilities to applications that need access to those special SCSI
commands for CD writing.

Jason

Rule-list at rule-project.org