[RULE] Re: FC2

Philip Rhoades phil at pricom.com.au
Tue Sep 14 08:40:49 EEST 2004

Marco,

I had installed FC1 on a laptop by booting on the USB FD because I
couldn't get it to boot on the USB CD.  When I wanted to move to FC2 I
couldn't boot on the FD anymore so I copied the FC2 boot CD to an image
on the FC1 HD and did a loopback mount to that, added a line to
grub.conf to point to the new mount and installed FC2 from there.  Once
I was able to start installing from the CD1 image, the USB CD could be
used.

It would be nice not to have to do something like this though . . and
still be able to install from FD using slinky or something . .

Keep up the good work!

Regards,

Phil.

> Michael, Franz and all,
>
> As previously mentioned, I have been invited to present RULE at the
> first Italian Linux World Expo. Using this I've been able to force
> myself to finish other things I had to do, to leave time for RULE
> (the
> thought of embarassing yourself in public is one powerful
> motivator...).
>
> The end result is that I have downloaded the two image disks above,
> and restarted to study all the existing RULE and relevant Fedora
> stuff
> to do as much as I can to show up at the expo (sept 22-24) with a
> working RULE/Fedora Core 2 laptop.
>
> I can do everything myself (figure out dependencies, recompiles
> stuff,
> install X, KOffice, whatever) once I have a box which boots with the
> FC2 versions of kernel, system libraries bash and rpm: no postfix or
> other servers, etc.
>
> As far as slinky is concerned, I can (at least at the beginning),
> only
> test what you throw at me. Hope to learn more as I go along. But will
> run and report immediately the new versions. All they need is to
> install the functionalities said above from local cdrom and/or
> ethernet. My desktop is running FC2 and can be the server for
> nfs/ftp/http install.
>
> Will come back with more specific questions later. Franz, do the
> disks
> above work for FC2?
>
> TIA,
> 	Marco
>
> --
> Marco Fioretti                    mfioretti, at the server mclink.it
> Red Hat & Fedora for low memory   http://www.rule-project.org/
>
> It's not the hours you put in your work that counts, it's the work
> you
> put in the hours.                                            Sam
> Ewing

> End of Rule-list Digest, Vol 4, Issue 4

Philip Rhoades

Pricom Pty Limited  (ACN 003 252 275  ABN 91 003 252 275)
GPO Box 3411
Sydney NSW	2001
Australia
Mobile:  +61:0411-185-652