[RULE] Installing Fedora FC2 with Slinky

Ingo Lantschner ingo.lists at vum.at
Tue Sep 14 11:00:19 EEST 2004

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 01:40:48 +0200, Franz Zahaurek <fzk at fzk.at> wrote:

> I remember, that I couldn't extract the slinky_devel.0.3.97.tar either
> but didn't think much about it.  I used root and afterwards changed
> the owership to my account.  Well, now I see, that was a bad idea at
> all because the nodes in .../slinky-0.3.98/filesystem/dev are gateways
> to the hardware and should only be owned by root.  That's one point to
> be corrected.
This behaivior is by design :-) Its documented in the vumBOX-Handbook
based on a post from this list. For your convenience here is the according
part. I thin this should be included into the tarball as README:
How to make a Custom Slinky ISO (like this one, the so called vum:BOX):
Quoting Michael Fratoni  mfratoni at tuxfan.homeip.net :

Yes, you too can build ISO files for fun and (no)profit! ;)

I was thinking about this issue today at work, (while I was being paid to
be thinking of other things..), and it occurred to me that it is quite
possible for users to build their own ISO images.

I don't know why I didn't think of this before, it's really very simple.
I've created a tarball of my build tree. Scripts, base filesystem, rpm
packages, etc.

To build your own ISO:
(This does assume a linux machine, and a grasp of basic linux tools.)

o Download the tarball into your home directory.
         (I'll post it shortly, it's 36M in size,
         http://savannah.nongnu.org/download/rule/slinky/slinky_devel-0.3.97.tar.gz
)
Hint: This tarball with some modifications (see What are the differences
between Slinky ISO and vum:BOX ISO? page 52)  is also located on the
vumBOX CD-ROM, in the directory /vumadd/rule.
o $ su root.
         (Required, the tarball contains device files, which can't be
created by
         mortal users.)
o # tar -xvzf slinky_devel.tar.gz
o # chown -R user.user slinky_devel
         (where user is your user name)
o # exit
o $ cd slinky_devel
         (Poke around, change things, be careful...)
o edit version.h, define version as something NOT rule like.
         (I don't want bug reports on images I know nothing about)
o Get ready to build the images
o $ su - ( - is important, you want a login shell)
         (You need root to build the images. only root can mount loop
devices.)
o # cd /home/user/slinky_devel
o # ./makedisk.sh
o # ./makedisk2.sh
o # ./makepcmcia.sh
o # ./makeiso.sh
o # ls slinky_images/slinky-${version}/
You should see all the .img files, as well as the .iso.

> And the archive itself should be named
> slinky-devel-0.3.97.tar. to be consistent.
May be the version should change?! If it installs FC2 now, even to lets
say 1.0 Beta?!?

HTH and exciting to see FC2 installed by Slinky! Ingo.

Rule-list at rule-project.org