[RULE] Installing Fedora FC2 with Slinky

Franz Zahaurek fzk at fzk.at
Tue Sep 14 20:23:56 EEST 2004

Jason Bechtel <bechtel sdf lonestar org> writes:

> On Tuesday, Sep 14, 2004 at  1:40 AM, Franz Zahaurek typed:
>>
>> At all it was not very difficult to derive the names of FC2-rpms from
>> the RedHat 9 ones.  But I think good composition of package-lists is
>> very hard.  I counted 1619 rpms on FC2 CD1-4.  For slinky I have
>> presently 471 rpms to be installed at a maximum, but there are
>> duplicates.
>  [...]
>
> To eliminate dups, insert a call to 'sort -u' in the pipe:
>
> grep -v '^--' *packages* | sort -u | wc -l

Yes, but I thought of duplicates like the following:

Gnome_packages:ghostscript-7.07-25.i386.rpm
print_packages:ghostscript-7.07-25.i386.rpm

They are in different types of packages and is not obvious which
one to skip, if at all.

The following does not make sense, as the base_packages are installed
in any case:

base_packages:fedora-logos-1.1.24-1.noarch.rpm
Gnome_packages:fedora-logos-1.1.24-1.noarch.rpm

base_packages:cyrus-sasl-plain-2.1.18-2.i386.rpm
network_packages:cyrus-sasl-plain-2.1.18-2.i386.rpm

I think, there should be installed only a minimal set of packages to
get a working system.  Adding packages is easy with rpm (- if you know
how it's done; - if there is enough space, - if you need them at all;
- ...).

- Franz
Franz Zahaurek                        fzk at fzk.at
Gymnasiumstr. 26/7                    http://www.fzk.at