[RULE] Slinky 0.4.01: cannot create /dev/null

Franz Zahaurek fzk at fzk.at
Mon Sep 20 09:01:57 EEST 2004

Hi Marco,

"M. Fioretti" <mfioretti mclink it> writes:

> Hello,
>
> running slinky 0.4.01 from cdrom (see my other messages) I get stuck
> at this stage. First it asks to select the cdrom from a list:
>
>    [hda hdb hdc hdd cdrom]
>
> I select hda. Then I get here:
>
>   To which device would you like to install RULE?
>   There is no default value, please enter a valid device from the list
>   below.
>
>   [  ]:

This happens if setup.sh cannot find any harddisk. This is the code:

avail_devices=`/sbin/fdisk -l | grep Disk | cut -d " " -f 2 | cut -d "/" -f 3 | cut -d : -f 1`

Change to the second virtual terminal and try: fdisk -l

> So, this time I get an empty list of choices. Now, whatever I enter
> (hda, hdb, hdc, /dev/hda....) I get the same error message:
>
>   /scripts/setup.sh: 613: cannot create /dev/null: Input/output error
>   [the device just selected] doesn't appear to be a valid hard drive
>   device.
>
>   To which device would you like to install RULE?
>   (repeat ad libitum...)
> [...]

The code checks if your input is part of the presented list of devices -
if it's empty, you are lost.
Don't know about the i/o error on /dev/null.

- Franz
Franz Zahaurek                        fzk at fzk.at
Gymnasiumstr. 26/7                    http://www.fzk.at
1180 Wien