[RULE] Slinky 0.4.01: cannot create /dev/null

Paul Nijjar pnijjar at utm.utoronto.ca
Tue Sep 21 20:42:55 EEST 2004

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004, M. Fioretti wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 08:01:57 AM +0200, Franz Zahaurek  fzk at fzk.at
> wrote:
> > Hi Marco,

> > This happens if setup.sh cannot find any harddisk. This is the code:
> >
> > avail_devices=`/sbin/fdisk -l | grep Disk | cut -d " " -f 2 | cut -d "/" -f 3 | cut -d : -f 1`
> >
> > Change to the second virtual terminal and try: fdisk -l
> >

> This gives no result at all...
	This may be a module problem. I don't know what kernel modules
have been built into Franz's install kernel, but maybe you could try
typing

modprobe ide-detect
fdisk -l

	and see whether there is any change. Briefly looking at
http://www.fzk.at/SLINKY/kernel-2.6.8.1-config

	I see the following kernel options:

###########################
#
# ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support
#
CONFIG_IDE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y

#
# Please see Documentation/ide.txt for help/info on IDE drives
#
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_SATA is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HD_IDE is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y
# CONFIG_IDEDISK_MULTI_MODE is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=y
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEFLOPPY is not set
# CONFIG_IDE_TASK_IOCTL is not set

	I wonder whether maybe CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HD_IDE is supposed to be
set? Offhand I don't know exactly what it does. On the other hand, Franz
is clearly able to install using the compiled kernel for his hard drive.

- Paul