[RULE] Slinky 0.4.01: cannot create /dev/null

Franz Zahaurek fzk at fzk.at
Wed Sep 22 01:26:22 EEST 2004

Paul Nijjar <pnijjar utm utoronto ca> writes:

> On Mon, 20 Sep 2004, M. Fioretti wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 08:01:57 AM +0200, Franz Zahaurek  fzk at fzk.at
>> wrote:
>> > Hi Marco,
>
>> > This happens if setup.sh cannot find any harddisk. This is the code:
>> >
>> > avail_devices=`/sbin/fdisk -l | grep Disk | cut -d " " -f 2 | cut -d "/" -f 3 | cut -d : -f 1`
>> >
>> > Change to the second virtual terminal and try: fdisk -l
>> >

>> This gives no result at all...
> 	This may be a module problem. I don't know what kernel modules
> have been built into Franz's install kernel, but maybe you could try
> typing
>
> modprobe ide-detect
> fdisk -l

I don't know about ide-detect and can't find this item in any Kconfig
doc of the kernel nor in the Documentation directory.  But I see many
hits in google.

> 	and see whether there is any change. Briefly looking at
> http://www.fzk.at/SLINKY/kernel-2.6.8.1-config
>
> 	I see the following kernel options:
>

> ###########################
> #
> # ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support
> #
> CONFIG_IDE=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y
>
> #
> # Please see Documentation/ide.txt for help/info on IDE drives
> #
> # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_SATA is not set
> # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HD_IDE is not set
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y
> # CONFIG_IDEDISK_MULTI_MODE is not set
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=y
> # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEFLOPPY is not set
> # CONFIG_IDE_TASK_IOCTL is not set
>

> ##################
>
> 	I wonder whether maybe CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HD_IDE is supposed to be
> set? Offhand I don't know exactly what it does. On the other hand, Franz
> is clearly able to install using the compiled kernel for his hard drive.

Tried to activate it, but after booting this kernel with slinky,
installation process hangs when it should create the root filesystem -
so I disabled it again.

- Franz
Franz Zahaurek                        fzk at fzk.at
Gymnasiumstr. 26/7                    http://www.fzk.at