[RULE] slinky-0.4.02: install FC2 via cdrom, image, rpms, ftp, nfs

Franz Zahaurek fzk at fzk.at
Fri Oct 1 21:38:09 EEST 2004

Hi Ingo and all,

"Ingo Lantschner" <ingo.lists at vum.at> writes:

> On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 17:20:10 +0200, Ingo Lantschner
> <ingo.lists at vum.at>  wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 16:15:51 +0200, Ingo Lantschner
>> <ingo.lists at vum.at>  wrote:
> It's nice to talk with myself :-) Seriously, I hope this is usefull
> for  others also, so I keep on ...

Just back home from office - I am very glad to see your test report.

>>> "switchdesk-gui... .rpm", well which is not present on FC2-Disk1 -
>> $ whichcd -v FC2 switchdesk-gui
>> CD-4:switchdesk-gui-4.0.3-1.noarch.rpm
>>
>> So, ... I'll try again with all rpms copied into one dir.

Yes, method rpms needs all the requested rpms in one local directory,
methods ftp and nfs need all rpms in one remote directory.

> Next try - SUCCESS!
> -------------------
>
> This time I copy anything from fc2 disk 1, 2, 3 and 4 into
> /tmp/fc2/Fedora/RPMS on nfs-server.
>
> Now it works! System can start w/o problems after install - we have a
> working FC2-OS on a PI/100 MHz Computer, with 64 MB RAM and only one 1
> GB  Harddrive! Thanks to Franz and the many contributres of the RULE
> Project.
>

> What I have seen / wishes&recommendations:
>
> * This basesystem uses 837 MB of the harddrive - a bit too much. What
> * about removing f.e. sendmail&friends and rpmdb-Fedora?
> 	# rpm -ev rpmdb-fedora-2-0.20040513
> 	frees 104 MB :-)
> 	# rpm -ev sendmail
> 	frees an other 2 MB ( not so much, :-(  )

I realy don't know which rpms are usefull for a basic RULE-system.  I
think it should be as less as possible to keep the installation
process short.  Then after booting the new system the user can add
more specific as needed.  Or there is a rulerc.sh to load them.

For the migration from RedHat 9 to Fedora FC2 I tried to find the
corresponding FC2-rpm to every RH9 rpm as defined in the directory
.../DISK2/second_stage_scripts/9 in the slinky devel-tree of
v0.3.97b-vumbox.  Then I grouped these new rpms to the corresponding
disks of FC2.

When the installation is going to work at all - and you gave the first
positive response, there should be done a cleanup concerning rpms.  To
re-configure the packeage-lists take a look at the Files in:
.../DISK2/second_stage_scripts/2.  You can do this by mounting disk2
with:

# mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

do your changes in the package-lists and unmount.  Then use this new
disk2 for a new installation.  '--' (two dashes) at the begin of a
line can be used to comment a package in the lists.  I left the names
of the RH9 packages as a reference.

In order to make your changes available for all, they have to be
integrated in the devel-tarball - and the devel-tarball should be
complete enough to be able to create a bootable CD ...

> * GUI: How to startx?!

I think without further configuration you can only get a very basic
X11. Try:

1) X -configure
2) Edit the generated File ~/XF86config.new
3) start X11 with: xinit -xf86config ~/XF86config.new    or
                   startx -xf86config ~/XF86config.new

But if you don't know the details that's more than hard to do or even
impossible.  How does the original FC2 - installation handle this task?

> * Mouse: At least a serial mouse does not work. Although Kudzu finds
> * it  and asks for configuration ....

Yes, but that's OK, so there is no need for slinky to do that.

> * Slinky>> Hrmmm, failed to locate /mnt/cdrom/Fedora/RPMS
> 	##may be an advice to change console and mount manually should be given.

I tried to make many messages more verbose.  The Hrmmm - messages are
still old ones.

> Bye, Ingo.

- Franz
Franz Zahaurek                        fzk at fzk.at