[RULE] Slinky 0.4 - the work has started

Ingo Lantschner ingo.lists at vum.at
Mon Oct 4 15:11:31 EEST 2004

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 00:43:19 +0200, Franz Zahaurek <fzk at fzk.at> wrote:

> But I created only few network-driver modules for 0.4.02 to keep
> disk1 small and it must have been by chance that you just needed them.
since you included the most common ones, the chance was high. On the long
run I suggest to include also driver for 3C509 (ISA) and NE2000-ISA.

>> slinky.config, but in a
>> slightly different way than his predecessor.
>
> I tried to change as less as possible.  What special change do you mean?
in Slinky 0.3 slinky.config was strictly optional. Only the vumBOX, as an
already customized installer, includd a partitially configured
slinky.config, in order to reduce the number of questions during
installation. F.e. etx3 was defined, since the target.area of vumBOX sees
many power-outages, so journaling fs was mandatory. The same with
instalation-method - we had only CDROM in these days.
Now in slinky 0.4x the installer can not run w/o slinky.config - f.e. the
Linux-Version is read from it.

> I think, most things that follow are beyond the actual scope of slinky
> as an installer.  You could call the result a new mini distribution.
Yes, I agree with you. On the other side many of these features were
somehow integrated into the old slinky, and now its sometimes not so clear
for me, how to roll it back or how to reintegrate these features again.

Also I think we should look for possibilities to "package" common add-ons
like a GUI and Office-Apps. IMHO this would be the most celan
implemenation: Keep Slinky to the minimum (and therefore clean up the
slinky.config and the packagelists) and build new postinst-packages to
implement f.e. X and iceWM.

>> * change of keyboardlayout in a more early state of install
>
> I put the keyboard selection just at the begin of setup.sh.  There is
> no earlier state.
Well its just a small detail and not so important - I just wrote it down
in order to not forget it: If you change to console 2 and
modprobe/ifconfig you have the us layout. But this may be worked around,
if you just start the installation on console 1, chnage the layout and
then stop the installation for modprobing/ifconfig on console2.

>> * some strange messages during install
>
> Yes, these are debugging messages due to set -x.  Of course this
> should be informative not confusing.  In a final version this has to
> be removed.
aha, I see, thanks for clearifying.

> By now I cannot provide services like CVS over the web - send your
> changes to me and I will create new images.
ok I'll send. On the other hand, if someone finds it usefull, I can try to
provide CVS myself - I'll have to look, how difficult it is.

> In parallel I try to get more web-space so I can provide the
> whole devel-tarball to create a bootable slinky-CD for FC2.  I would
> like better if this could take place on the rule-project site.
aha, so you are short in webspace, ... well may be we can find a solution
for this. I have small but unlimited xdsl-connection (128/768) and Slinky
0.3.96-installed Redhaterver. There are 463 MB free. Well lets see, what
others say, ...

cu Ingo.

Rule-list at rule-project.org