[RULE] Slinky/FC2 minimal install, was: slinky-0.4.02: install FC2 via...

Ingo Lantschner ingo.lists at vum.at
Tue Oct 5 14:07:36 EEST 2004

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 07:21:17 +0200, M. Fioretti <mfioretti> wrote:

> As far as I know, rpmdb should be missed. When it comes to
> sendmail&friends, it really boils down to "does the box needs to run
> a mail server?"
I think the reason for rpmdb is the existence of whichcd. Whichcd has an
option -f which requieres rpmdb to be installed. Anyway, due to its size
this should be postinstalled if really needed.

> If no, just remove it. But remember that lots of system utilities on
> *nix needs some server to send email anyway (like notifying system
> errors to root).
In practical life, I did not need sendmail or any other MTA on my
Desktops. So I think we can skip and remove it completely. Due to an old
bug in Slinky, it will be installed always, even if you say not to that
option.

>> * GUI: How to startx?!
>
> Easy... Install standard X rpms, or wait until kdrive is recompiled
> for FC2 :-(
kdrive is the same as TinyX - isn't it?

For your request of rpm -qa: I do not have an installed box available at
the moment - the last try did not succeed. But I think if you go trought
the lists in .../DISK2/2/ (see Slinky tar.z from Franz in earlier posts)
you have all of them - even with a bit of context: f.e. on which CD, in
which "package-group", ...

HTH Ingo.

Rule-list at rule-project.org