[RULE] slinky-0.4.02: install FC2 via cdrom, image, rpms, ftp, nfs

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Thu Oct 7 03:24:01 EEST 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 18:30 +0200, Ingo Lantschner wrote:
> What I have seen / wishes&recommendations:
>
> * This basesystem uses 837 MB of the harddrive - a bit too much. What
> about removing [...?]

I have a *draft* (read, incomplete) document called the "Small Netserver
HOWTO" on my website [1] and the first part of that document details
which packages I removed from a "minimal" (505MB) install of Fedora Core
1 to get a minimal system.

[1] http://www.simpaticus.com/linux

Of course this minimal system was text-mode only, but it should provide
you with some useful input as to what packages are easily removable. The
final disk usage for the packages was less than 400MB, plus swap space.

I'll be recreating that package list for FC3 in the near future, and
working to finish that darn document which I have not had time to do.
But I believe even in its present state it will be of some use to you.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>