[RULE] Slinky/FC2 minimal install, was: slinky-0.4.02: install FC2 via...

Ingo Lantschner ingo.lists at vum.at
Sun Oct 10 16:30:34 EEST 2004

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 18:28:14 +0200, M. Fioretti <mfioretti> wrote:

>> >If no, just remove it. But remember that lots of system utilities on
>> >*nix needs some server to send email anyway (like notifying system
>> >errors to root).
>> In practical life, I did not need sendmail or any other MTA on my
>> Desktops.
>
> None at all? Not even to pass to a user account warnings about disk
> quota or any diagnostic from the system?
# env LANG=C chkconfig --list | grep sendmail
sendmail        0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off
This is from my own desktop, may be I am just too ignorant to realize that
I missed something, but this Desktop is running (a lot!) since approx. 2
years.

Diskquotas: On *desktops* seldome used.

>> So I think we can skip and remove it completely.
>
> OK, but then it's needed to:
> 1) warn the user of the issue above
> 2) warn that several mail client RPMs will not install unless forced
>    if no MTA is available.
Ok, good idea. Anyhow the *option* to install sendmail should be given.
Just pls. make sure, that if we say NO it should really not install (for
Slinky 0.3.x and 0.4.x the situation is: it will be both installed and
started regardless of the choice the installing humanbeeing chooses during
installation - so this question is not really useful now).

Regards, Ingo.

P.S: For the future: There are several other MTAs, as soon as I have some
time I will try to evaluate them and then we can probably integrate them
as a replacement for sendmail.

Rule-list at rule-project.org