[RULE] Testing in Greece

Richard Kweskin rkwesk at hellug.gr
Wed Oct 13 12:55:40 EEST 2004

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 22:22:51 -0700
David <david.jamison1 at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> snip

> This sounds great!
>
> Certainly the "way to go" as far as learning Linux goes.  As far as the
> RULE project is concerned using old PC's that are not "mission critical"
> means installs can be undertaken over and over again.  This is the way I
> learnt most about Linux and I would give full encouragement to this
> project.

Thank you. Encouragement is most welcome! :)

> I would make the following comments (other of course may have different
> views!!)
>
> 1. At the outset get Linux running and worry about GUI's later
> 2. A good reference book for Red Hat is Learning Red Hat Linux by Billy
> McCarty published by O'Reilly.  Obviously the installation procedure
> will differ but the RULE website covers the Slinky Install (print this
> out!!!!)
> 3. As an aim or a project try networking two boxes together with a
> crossover cable .  This would give users a goal rather than just get an
> install done and then wonder what to do next!
> 4. Post to the RULE mailing list if things dont seem to want to go the
> way they should :-)
>
> Ill look forward to hearing how this all goes s it sounds an excellent idea
>
> All the best
>
> David

Most certainly every step will be reported here and test reports sent to the site. This is also a part of the benefit to the participants who will learn what "documenting one's work" means and what "interacting with an international team on the net" (i.e. all of you!) means.

Potentially this is a dynamite learning experience for all of us here in Greece (I certainly include myself!) :)

Richard

Rule-list at rule-project.org