[RULE] Slinky 0.4.04

Franz Zahaurek fzk at fzk.at
Wed Oct 20 13:18:07 EEST 2004

Hi Marco and all,

"M. Fioretti" <mfioretti> writes:

> On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 11:47:52 AM +0200, Ingo Lantschner
>  ingo.lists at vum.at  wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> Franz just informed me that a new Slinky is on his page:
>> http://www.fzk.at/SLINKY/
> [...]
>
> 1) which is the current package list? Please send it to me offlist

I put the lists on my website.  One package is installed in advance:
xinitrc.  I found it to be on disc1 but depends on a package of disc2
so it would need --nodeps.

> 2) are you using the --nodocs (or something like that) option of rpm?
>    It skips installation of documentation, thus reducing final size
>    even more

That's good in terms of space but bad for information.  Usually I try to
use only documented software, so I didn't skip it.
Whether to install docs or not could be a switch befor starting rpm.

> 3) there is one drawback, minor in most cases, of calling rpm once per
>    disc as said above. Months ago we said that slinky could be
>    modified to work like this (in pseudo-shell language):
>
> 	    foreach package in $LIST
>
> 		    rpm -i $package
> 		    run trim-$package if trim-$package exists
> 		    goto next $package
> [...]

Yes, but there was no single such pre.sh- or post.sh-trigger in
slinky-0.3.9x so I thought the feature was not really needed/used.

- Franz
Franz Zahaurek                        fzk at fzk.at
Gymnasiumstr. 26/7                    http://www.fzk.at
1180 Wien