[RULE] Slinky 0.4.04

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Thu Oct 21 17:54:54 EEST 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-20 at 12:18 +0200, Franz Zahaurek wrote:
> "M. Fioretti" <mfioretti> writes:
>
> > 2) are you using the --nodocs (or something like that) option of rpm?
> >    It skips installation of documentation, thus reducing final size
> >    even more
>
> That's good in terms of space but bad for information.  Usually I try to
> use only documented software, so I didn't skip it.
> Whether to install docs or not could be a switch befor starting rpm.

Franz,

The option is "--excludedocs" just FYI. It would be *wonderful* if the
user could select whether or not to have all the documentation installed
via a switch or checkbox at the beginning of the install.

Having the docs around is a great thing for many systems where the
operator is less experienced. But where the sysadmin already knows Linux
well, and has other systems at hand, eliminating approximately 40MB (or
more) of documentation is a godsend.

I'll also second what others have said: let's get everything *working*
for an FC3 minimal install first. Then, we can use my "more-minimal"
package list as a reduced option, or I can create a package list
specifically for RULE. Then, we do kdrive. Then we can play and tinker,
but these other things need to be done first and will provide the lion's
share of the benefits (including time-to-deployment).

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>