[RULE] apt instead of rpm

Paul Nijjar pnijjar at utm.utoronto.ca
Tue Oct 26 01:10:37 EEST 2004

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, Ingo Lantschner wrote:

> Unfortunatly I have been stoped by a quiet simple problem: The Fedora Core
> CDs are not apt-enabled. I was not aware of the fact, that
> rpm-repositories must be indexed somehow, to be usable by apt-get. Some
> third-party organisation [¹] provides apt-databases for Fedora Core 1 but
> not for Core 2 and of course not for Core 3-test3.
>

> I wonder, if I have overlooked a simple solution to this problem. In my
> understanding of rpm, all the information to build a dependency-tree is in
> the rpm-files - all you need is a scriot, which walkes from rpm to rpm and
> writes the information regarding dependencys in a database-file. I wonder,
> if such a script does really not exist.

It looks as if

	http://apt4rpm.sourceforge.net

may provide what you need. In Debian apt the command to create the
Packages.gz file is called "dpkg-scanpackages"; if apt4rpm does not do
what you need then maybe searching for the equivalent program will help
you.
	One problem that worries me is that apt4rpm does not seem to
handle repositories stored on CD-ROM very well. If you have the disk space
to copy the CD-ROM contents to a local directory this may not matter.
Otherwise I am not sure what to do. Maybe you have to remaster the CDs
somehow?

- Paul

Rule-list at rule-project.org