[RULE] apt instead of rpm

M. Fioretti mfioretti
Wed Oct 27 01:32:18 EEST 2004

On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 15:56:15 PM -0600, Rodolfo J. Paiz
 rpaiz at simpaticus.com  wrote:

> I suggest that we are reinventing the wheel here. There are already not
> one, not two, but *three* fully-functional update programs available:
> up2date, yum, and apt-get.

I'd be really happy if this particular wheel already existed. That's
the whole point, see
http://www.rule-project.org/article.php3?id_article=32

slinky and RULE don't need an update/dependency resolution program.
Such things just say, _after_ install "I'll quickly find and
install all the bloat for you, without consuming your time, or caring
if it fills half your drive".

We'd need to analyze *automatically* the whole set of existing offers
(eg "all the combination of packages that include an IMAP MUA with GpG
support") _before_ install, to find the one which requires the
smallest total disk space.

As far as I know, the three fully functional update programs were
simply never meant to solve this second problem, only the first
one. Of course, I'd be really happy to be proven wrong on this, please
do it.

And of course I also agree that whatever way can give us any minimal
desktop install, even if not the best possible one, with little effort
is OK.

Ciao,
	Marco F.

--
Marco Fioretti                    mfioretti, at the server mclink.it
Red Hat & Fedora for low memory   http://www.rule-project.org/

I doni ricevuti dal Padreterno, servono se utilizzati: chi li
contempla gode, ma chi ne fa uso probabilmente aiuta altri a godere.

Rule-list at rule-project.org