[RULE] problems starting X windows

Gabriel M. Beddingfield gabriel at teuton.org
Mon Nov 15 06:58:35 EET 2004

On Sunday 14 November 2004 09:05 pm, Graeme Jones wrote:

> I changed that to:
>     127.0.0.1    myhost    myhost
> where myhost is the name of my host (no domain).

I think this should be:
 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost myhost

> First question: did I update the /etc/hosts file correctly?

I don't think so.  'localhost' needs to be defined.

> The next error is xinit reporting "No such file or directory".  I
> confirmed that /usr/X11R6/bin is indeed in my PATH variable.  Then
> I checked the X link... it is linked to /usr/X11R6/bin/Xvesa, which
> does not exist.

Sounds like a missing rpm.  I don't have time just now to check which.
Play around with the RPM directories on both RH and slinky CD's --
the XFree86/TinyX rpms.

> Second question: Why does "X" link to a file (namely Xvesa) that
> does not exist?  I don't remember seeing any errors during the
> installation.

While the slinky scripts are very well written, they don't catch
errors very well.  Usually, they prevent you from even seeing the
error messages.  So, it's normal to run into problems without having
been warned by slinky.  You see, the extra code to check for various
error conditions takes up a lot of floppy disk space.  On the other
hand, showing the user all the error files is just as likely to
confuse a beginner as help him.  I think this is the balance they
were trying to strike with slinky.

Regarding the link -- it's perfectly valid for *nix to set up a
symbolic link to something that's not there.  Likely, one package set
up the link to a program/file that should have been provided by a
different package.  (package == rpm)

HTH!  And good luck!

Peace,
Gabriel

--
            G a b r i e l   M .  B e d d i n g f i e l d

Rule-list at rule-project.org