[RULE] Test with Slinky 0.4.5 and fc3 t3

Richard Kweskin rkwesk at hellug.gr
Sun Nov 21 17:46:59 EET 2004

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 14:32:23 +0200
Richard Kweskin <rkwesk at hellug.gr> wrote:

> Hello All
>
> I ran two tests, both without attempting to alter the package lists. One box had a Soyo 5va board with a classic pentium cpu @ 120 MHz and the second had a Soyo 6eas board with pentium mmx @ 166 MHz. Both boxes had their own cd drives, 16 MB ram and S3 cards with 2 MB. Snippets below come from the install log from the second box, having rebooted with the slinky disk to gain access.

After those tests I tried the same exact install on a box with 256 MB of ram http://www.rule-project.org/article.php3?id_article=79 and it ran fine. The fourth test was adding the line

	append="mem=16MB"

to lilo.conf on this same box and rebooting. Then it began killing processes as on the other boxes but it did just manage to complete the boot process (after long delays.)

I managed to get dmesg, df, messages and free off the box. Revealing was the time it took after giving the command

	halt -p

It immediately shut off, showing it had no processes to kill!

I guess this means that the bar for minimum ram for Fedora 3 needs to be raised? :(

Richard

Rule-list at rule-project.org